
It started when I was very young. I was still in Kindergarden and I was taking my first piano lessons. At the time I thought nothing of playing piano. Everyone else was taking lessons, so I was just like the rest of them. As we all developed and went our seperate ways, some people continued music lessons and some people didn't. I did. Time went on and on and slowly people were narrowing down their hobbies and focuses. I had reached nine years old and decided to leave the piano behind, but start playing the harp. Here I continued for 6 years. However, just because I left the harp does not mean I left music. I guess it would be cliche yet fitting to say that music has been a part of my life since the beginning. As I developed in age and maturity I realized that playing music whether it be the harp or singing or anything made me truly happy. It was one of the only escapes that I found could really take me away from what was normal and create something that was unique to me.
The big choice in life for me right now is playing music and singing a professional endeavor or merely just a blissful hobby? I want to be able to say that I can make my living off of doing something that makes me happy and hopefully makes others happy as well. But there is a lot of risk in that thought. Mainly, would putting a cost on my creations take away from the original intent of my work? I predominantly write about human emotions according to myself, because that is all I know. If I'm forced to create I'm afraid these emotions will lack sincerity. As well, I don't want music to become something that I have to do, It has always been something that I want to do. But in the end I am creating songs and playing music for a living! Nothing sounds more appealing.
As a musician I am influenced by these sort of questions. I am constantly thinking about my life in regards to others and to what is considered "conventional" or "normal." Up until now I have been feeding these thoughts through my music and would like to continue to do so. I am fueled by the idea of creating and collaborating. I do not want to lose that.
1 comment:
I totally understand what you mean. When you make something you love to do something you have to do, it loses all of its magic, and you become oh so very jaded very very fast. You really have to find that perfect balance with your own relationship to your art. If there isn't something that you can do yourself to re-energize and re-motivate yourself to do you craft, then you can't really make what you love your living.
Continually searching for inspiration and the need to feel authentic and raw is always a challenge in world were art is sellable and dealt with like a business. But just know what YOU are about and don't ever lose sight of it, and I'm sure you will be fine. You and your band are awesome, can't wait to see a show soon!
Post a Comment